Photobucket

Workbench Thread

Hobby Related Discussion

Re: Workbench Thread

Postby bigredbat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Lovely minis, and someone did a great paint job on them!
"My other army is pro-painted"
http://bigredbat.blogspot.co.uk/
bigredbat
Llama Corporal

Postby Tim Hall » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:21 pm

They are very nice Phil, I really like the pallette you have used for these. Just right for both the "historical" or the "Hollywood" approach I think.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby philhendry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Tim Hall wrote:They are very nice Phil, I really like the pallette you have used for these. Just right for both the "historical" or the "Hollywood" approach I think.

No!!!! Not mine - these are links to pictures on manufacturers' websites!
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby Tim Hall » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 pm

philhendry wrote:
Tim Hall wrote:They are very nice Phil, I really like the pallette you have used for these. Just right for both the "historical" or the "Hollywood" approach I think.

No!!!! Not mine - these are links to pictures on manufacturers' websites!

Ooops, sorry about that, but my comment stands, that is a good colour pallette used there.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby philhendry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Mericanach wrote:
philhendry wrote:I wonder if anyone's spotted any other 28s from not-Deadwood?

There's a lot of not-(insert name of Western film/TV show) stuff here:

http://www.brigadegames.com/American-We ... _c_40.html

Oh yes - so there are - thanks! I wonder who (if anyone) stocks them in the UK? North Star were BG's agents, but they only seem to carry a couple of ranges, and not the western stuff. I haven't ordered anything from the USA for ages, because last time I did it cost me several limbs in postage, VAT and the Royal Mail's infamous handling charge.

I'm hoping for not-'the main characters from Lonesome Dove' at some point.

That'd be rather nice! Gus MacCrae, Woodrow Call and all...
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby grizzlymc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Handling charge for incoming mail, the days of the penny post have come to an end then?
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby philhendry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Their excuse is that they're acting as 'Customs Agents' for incoming foreign mail. It's a racket, and I'm sure they do da**-all for the money.
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:21 pm

I do hope that chap on the far right at the back isn't spitting.......
"We step confidently into the gutter with some tact and decorum."
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby valleyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 pm

I reckon Casey Jones is in that pic, shame the cannonball express isn't being modelled
Wine - cheaper than botox and paralyses more muscles
valleyboy
Second Lieutenant

Postby Jeremy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:04 am

9 Studio Miniatures Zombies. After this I have another 8 to do and that should hopefully satisfy my Zombie fetish. But probably not... :-S
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby goat major » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am

Nearly finished my first section of Germans for CoC.

The Warlord late war Germans seem a bit too smart and uniform for how i had imagined them. I might need to do scruffier paint jobs next time but it would be nice too have a few more uniform variants in the box. (I think there are more in the SS box but i didn't want to do SS)

Next question - do i paint up a section of Brits next or do another German squad ? :-?
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Jeremy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:47 am

goat major wrote:Next question - do i paint up a section of Brits next or do another German squad ? :-?

Germans. I found that in most games I end up taking a 4th German squad as one of my support choices as it's an incredibly useful beast.

And well, if they're Panzergrenadiers, its a no-brainer!
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby world2dave » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 pm

When are you doing the British paras?
This demands a positive plan and commitment to a deadline!
:-)
So speaketh the Chief Scribe and Court Artist to his Grace the Grand Duke of Medetia
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
world2dave
Corporal

Postby goat major » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm

I didn't make myself entirely clear :)
I have 3 German squads - not getting a 4th. Was just pondering whether to go Brit or German next. Im buying enough mg42s to allow me to go PG or just normal Heer.

Paras !! @-) common old garden battle dress only for my Brits !
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Jeremy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:42 am

goat major wrote: I have 3 German squads - not getting a 4th.

And you call yourself a Wargamer?!?!? :)) :))
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby grizzlymc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Apalling. You will need the same in both FG and camo, and then, there were a number of different types of camo in use.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Fat Wally » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Working on 32 Peter Pig ECW figures of Charles Gerard's Regt of Foot, and 15 Royalist horse.
http://www.fat-wally.com/

House-Husband, Wargamer & Painter. 'Living the Dream'

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
Fat Wally
Llama Corporal

Postby philhendry » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Cowboys and outlaws for Dead Man's Hand. Primed them before I went out this evening. Hoping to get time to start slapping paint on them tomorrow.
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby Timmo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:28 pm

ECW rebasing going well. All the figures are off their old bases and most are on their new ones. Separating the flags out of the pike blocks and getting them on vignette bases with an officer has been well worthwhile. The flags are far more conspicuous and this has given the armies so much more flexibility as I can change the unit IDs just by using different vignette command bases as I please. I can also use more than one to suggest combined battalia. Gong back to the tighter WRG basing has also given the pike blocks far more tabletop presence.

I have to doff my hat to John Ray: having seen how he uses vignettes to bring character to his formed ranks of troops tipped me over the edge on this one. I'd been considering it for some time.

Still I'll be pleased when it's all done. I need to buy five more officers and I'll pick up some musicians as well to supplement those I have. These are also now on vignette bases. There are precious few minor breakages to repair and about a dozen figures that need minor repainting. I expect this work to continue through November. Next up is getting the Napoleonic armies finally sorted out.
Timmo
Captain

Postby SteveJ » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Looking forward to seeing these when they're finished.

Timmo wrote:The flags are far more conspicuous and this has given the armies so much more flexibility as I can change the unit IDs just by using different vignette command bases as I please.

I do the same with my WOTR stuff.
Hitch a ride with us- we're on the last freedom moped out
of Nowhere City baby, and we haven't even told our parents what time we'll be back!
So get your dancing trousers on and get down to the utter King of Rock'n' Roll... CLIFF RICHARD!
SteveJ
Major

Postby Timmo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the interest but the collection is a motley crew that remains hidden away. Many were painted by a teenage Timmo who's brush work ain't that good… the more recent ones have always drawn a consistent remark from those that have seen them in the flesh… "they don't look like Minifigs". I may do some photographs one day when I set-up a game on the fur. As I've adapted this collection over many years it doesn't truly reflect what I could do now if I started over, and only a (Tony Barton range would make me do that – ie. never) or really my current thinking about what an ECW army really looked like. Still they have high nostalgia value for me.

Minifigs 25mm ECW range is more accurately proportioned than the Perry ECW range, how about that? Many are good sculpts and its only because most Minifigs people have seen are caked in thick enamel. If you paint them with care they are surprisingly good figures and very nice to paint and easy to do as well.

Here's a couple of images of some painted about 8 years ago. The faces are terrible and I've improved in that respect, then again Minifigs faces aren't much good especially compared to Perry or AB. These musket remain on 20mm frontage and I won't rebase them as I'm going back to playing a modified version of Gush WRG with card activation and a much altered morale system. The basic mechanics and especially the cavalry combat has yet to be bettered in ECW rules IMHO. When you read Gush and think well I hate all this HI and MI malarkey if instead you called them; well equipped or poorly equipped the effect in the rule mechanisms remain the same but suddenly the rules have a tang of period flavour. Odd that…

(Minor conversions evident.)
Timmo
Captain

Postby Giles » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:12 pm

I think basing ECW is really difficult, and inded is the main reason why my own ECW project stalled. I think Timmo has it right - put the command on detached bases. Or do what Clarence Harrison does and have flags you can switch.
Giles
Regimental Goat

PreviousNext

Return to Wargames