Photobucket

What are you reading?

Hobby Related Discussion

What are you reading?

Postby Peewee » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Last week I have mostly been reading...

Operations in Persia, by F J Moberly - Official history of the doings in Persia during WW1. Doesn't cover Dunsterforce in any great detail (apparently that's all in the Mesopotamia Campaign official whatnot), but does cover the East Persia Cordon, the Sykes Mission and the South Persia Rifles etc. I'm actually quite surprised at the depth of the background details. A ripping good read.
Does anybody want a snog?
Peewee
Major

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Timmo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Mollo, AWI uniforms. My kind of history book. Easy to read stuff that's directly relevant to painting armies with lots of pretty pictures, all wrapped up in a slender hardback.
Timmo
Captain

Postby grizzlymc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 am

Action This Day,

Vian's wartime memoir. Definitely a man cast in the mold of Cochrane and Nelson.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Duck Crusader » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:14 am

The war that came early series by Harry Turtledove. Alt history WWII.
Bluddy Hell...
Duck Crusader
Llama Corporal

Postby grizzlymc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 am

Is this a new Turtledove series?
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Duck Crusader » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:18 am

Newer. It's pretty good, some of the suppositions he makes are a bit far fetched IMO but it's definitely readable if you like his style. I know some people don't.
Bluddy Hell...
Duck Crusader
Llama Corporal

Postby valleyboy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:35 am

I haven't decided yet, just finished The Fort by Mr Cornwall
I think I might just read this place for a while
Wine - cheaper than botox and paralyses more muscles
valleyboy
Second Lieutenant

Postby Jeremy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:37 am

Christian Cameron's "Tyrant", thoroughly enjoyed his "God of War"
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby rct75001 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 am

Hell's Battlefield - Phillip Bradley - a very good and detailed study of the Australians in New Guinea in WWII

also Not Mentioned in Despatches - a critical examination of the Battle of Goose Green - great information and analysis and some controversial views I imagine - but quite hard to read.
rct75001
Private

Postby Andy Badger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:04 am

Working my way through Nicholas Carters Shadow on the Crown ECW novels. GF got all 5 for me for my birthday (curtesy of amazon for the princely sum of 1p each!!). Enjoying them so far. Some of his characters are great (love the main Parliamentarian characters smelly one-eyed horse!!) and his battle descriptions are suitably bloody and confused.

Just ordered All The Kings Armies for £2.50. On a bit of an ECW trip at the mo and been painting up baccus 6mm for both sides at Edgehill.
Andy Badger
Private

Postby RobL » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 am

All the King's Armies is rather good, very readable and has excellent style.

Currently dropping in and out of Norwich's Decline & Fall of Byzantium, waiting for Cameron's 'Poseidon's Spear' to come out, and also have Vanished Kingdoms sitting on the shelf.
RobL
Private

Postby simon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 am

Liberators, by Robert Harvey. A book about the people who carried through South American liberation from Spain. Just reading about San martin's crossing of the Andes and the Battle of Chacabuco.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

http://www.parkfieldminiatures.freeservers.com/

http://mywargamingcorner.blogspot.co.uk/
simon
Corporal

Postby baxterj » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:14 am

That Sweet Enemy by Tombs. Its a summary of French and British relations from the Glorious Revolution to now across military and social issues - a great read and highly recommended.

john
baxterj
Sergeant

Postby Guy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am

Like Hungry Wolves by Stuart Reid. Bought it for £10 at Colours which I didn't think was bad especially for the fantastic coloured uniform plates. I am now going to follow it with the bit more modern Christopher Duffy book on the same subject. Then I will address myself to the first of the Crann Tara higlanders I bought.
Guy
Private

Postby Purple » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 am

Just began "Rebel Private - William A. Fletcher Memoirs of a Confederate Soldier"

And as ever, flicking back and forth over Paddy Griffiths ACW Tactics book, really interesting stuff.
Certainly changed my impression of Civil War Battles.
GinCressChaiseLongueSausage
Purple
Lieutenant

Postby grizzlymc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Andy, nice to see that she values you at 5p!
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Buff Orpington » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Just finished Tomahawk & Musket by Rene Chartrand. It's an Osprey Raid book, translated from the original French with some added Osprey illustrations. Makes you wonder if the wrong side won. The raid up the Ohio was the smallest of the 3 major campaigns by the British/Americans and was a success despite taking 10 - 20 times as many casualties as the French did.

The French had a budget to try to buy European captives from the natives while the British paid the same bounty for a scalp as they did for a live prisoner so they didn't get many live prisoners.
Wot you mean, "It's the wrong colour". Don't you know there's a bluddy war on?
Buff Orpington
Second Lieutenant

Postby Jeremy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Buff Orpington wrote:Just finished Tomahawk & Musket by Rene Chartrand. It's an Osprey Raid book, translated from the original French with some added Osprey illustrations. Makes you wonder if the wrong side won. The raid up the Ohio was the smallest of the 3 major campaigns by the British/Americans and was a success despite taking 10 - 20 times as many casualties as the French did.

The French had a budget to try to buy European captives from the natives while the British paid the same bounty for a scalp as they did for a live prisoner so they didn't get many live prisoners.

I have that one, not got round to reading it yet
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Theo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:26 pm

Jeremy wrote:
Buff Orpington wrote:Just finished Tomahawk & Musket by Rene Chartrand. It's an Osprey Raid book, translated from the original French with some added Osprey illustrations. Makes you wonder if the wrong side won. The raid up the Ohio was the smallest of the 3 major campaigns by the British/Americans and was a success despite taking 10 - 20 times as many casualties as the French did.

Not enough pictures in it for ya darlink? :p :p :p :D
Theo
Corporal

Postby Jeremy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Theo wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Not enough pictures in it for ya darlink? :p :p :p :D

All the wimmun are wearing clothes, just can't wrap my mind around that! =))
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Duke of Plaza-Toro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Buff Orpington wrote:the British paid the same bounty for a scalp as they did for a live prisoner so they didn't get many live prisoners.

And even today most economists would be baffled by this example of the The Free Market in action.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Beardo

Postby Der Alte Fritz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm reading "Grant Moves South" by Bruce Catton. I found the book in my late Father's book collection a couple of weeks ago. I recall going on a family vacation to New Orleans and we stopped in all of the places where Grant campaigned in the West, starting at Cairo, IL then on down to Tennessee to see Forts Henry and Donelson, then Shiloh, Corinth, Champion's Hill, Vicksburg and finally New Orleans. He would recite Catton's anecdotes about Grant as we were visiting a battlefield and this made the visit more personal and exciting. This is undoubtedly what got me interested in history.
Der Alte Fritz
Beardo

Next

Return to Wargames