Photobucket

What are you reading?

Hobby Related Discussion

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Giles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:10 am

One of my friends at university did "work experience" at a well-known London radio station during the term holidays; the station staff at the time included several well-known DJs. She was perfectly open about her relationships with those DJs, which covered the full range of behaviour from what we now call "inappropriate touching" to full-blown affairs (all these people were married). She wasn't particularly ashamed of it - in fact her affair with one DJ went on for a few years, on and off (and caused a slight issue when I was going out with her and the DJ in question popped up at uni one day to say he was doing a show that night, was staying in x hotel and assumed she'd be spending the night with him....). Now obviously my friend was in the 17-20 age bracket while this stuff was going on, and I sensed she wasn't really in any way an unwilling participant. But clearly even in the early 1990s this sort of behaviour, which today we would call "predatory", was prevalent.
Giles
Regimental Goat

Postby Jeremy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 am

I find it quite criminial that women don't sexually harrass me at work.... :-(
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Ditto. A major disadvantage of working from home.....plus the office Xmas party is shite. Still, on the bright side it means I can't do anything that will get me sacked, divorced or arrested.
"We step confidently into the gutter with some tact and decorum."
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby grizzlymc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:Ditto. A major disadvantage of working from home.....plus the office Xmas party is shite. Still, on the bright side it means I can't do anything that will get me sacked, divorced or arrested.

Short of imagination are we?

But clearly even in the early 1990s this sort of behaviour, which today we would call "predatory", was prevalent

I wouldn't call her behaviour predatory; pretty normal for an adolescent with opportunity.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Olicanalad » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 pm

grizzlymc wrote:
Ronan the Librarian wrote:Ditto. A major disadvantage of working from home.....plus the office Xmas party is shite. Still, on the bright side it means I can't do anything that will get me sacked, divorced or arrested.

But clearly even in the early 1990s this sort of behaviour, which today we would call "predatory", was prevalent

I wouldn't call her behaviour predatory; pretty normal for an adolescent with opportunity.

I agree, why when a young person has sex with a work colleague does one of the parties automatically have to be predatory. My early working life (17 - 21), working abroad in restaurants and hotels was almost an unending list of waitresses and chamber maids. I wasn't predatory, neither were they, everyone was, well, just willing with a why the 'F' not attitude. It was like being on an all year long 18 - 30 holiday. I imagine most workplaces dominated by a young workforce are broadly, shaggingly similar.
Olicanalad
Llama Enthusiast

Postby grizzlymc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:14 pm

One of my great regrets is that I went into this industry when it was male dominated, now I am the boss and the ratios are approaching 50:50 I can't take advantage of the situation.

Ever since the storm in a teacup over Monica Walinski sucking the brains out of Bill Clinton I have been a little mystified at this. Surely if a twenty something year old is not capable of saying no, she should not be considered to be over the age of consent. In which case no doubt it would have been ok if slick willy had got her father or elder brother's permission.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 am

Unfortunately, the argument - rightly or wrongly - is that it is an abuse of authority by the person of higher standing (one assumes Bill was standing at the time), because there is the implied threat of career damage if the junior person says no; it is also potentially unfair on other staff if the junior person is favoured in some way (via pay or promotion). For this reason, the Armed Forces will not allow folk of different rank within the same Service to date - if a couple wish to do so, someone usually has to leave, and certainly if they wish to marry/co-habit (as happend to my best friend at uni, who was an officer in the RA while his girlfriend, later fiancee, was a private in a TA RAMC unit).
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Jeremy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:07 am

What did Jack Nicolson say on this particular topic in "A Few Good Men"? :)) :))
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Jeremy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:09 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote: For this reason, the Armed Forces will not allow folk of different rank within the same Service to date - if a couple wish to do so, someone usually has to leave, and certainly if they wish to marry/co-habit (as happend to my best friend at uni, who was an officer in the RA while his girlfriend, later fiancee, was a private in a TA RAMC unit).

Not like that here, my brother met his wife in the Defence Force and they were always different ranks right up until the day they left.
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:16 am

Weren't the SADF mainly conscript? That might explain the different rules, otherwise you could get sham marriages in order to get one partner discharged. My mate and his missus married back in the late-80s, so it's possible things may have changed here, but if so I've not heard about it.
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 am

grizzlymc wrote:

No lack of motive, just the means and opportunity. :-(
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Jeremy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote:Weren't the SADF mainly conscript? That might explain the different rules, otherwise you could get sham marriages in order to get one partner discharged. My mate and his missus married back in the late-80s, so it's possible things may have changed here, but if so I've not heard about it.

Conscription here stopped in '91, and it was only for males.

They were both in SAMs though (Medical Services) so things may be a bit different
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Paul RH » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 am

I got the Croeburn 1813 book yesterday....Hardback, 200 pages, a great read, loads of info, loads of pics (there´s 249 of the dio itsself) and well worth getting hold of, which you can do so from here; History, Die Welt in Miniaturen.
Apparently there were some Problems with seeing or ordering from the Website for People outside of Germany but it´s been fixed now.
Double page pic of Bianchi´s Division
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me..it had DODGE written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia
Paul RH
Lieutenant

Postby Olicanalad » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:24 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote:Unfortunately, the argument - rightly or wrongly - is that it is an abuse of authority by the person of higher standing (one assumes Bill was standing at the time), because there is the implied threat of career damage if the junior person says no; it is also potentially unfair on other staff if the junior person is favoured in some way (via pay or promotion).

Then again, you get double points for bagging management.
Olicanalad
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Dog who drinks paint » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Right, back on topic!

This month it was Alan Furst's 'Spies of the Balkans'. He is definitely becoming a little formulaic, but some good stuff on the invasion of Greece by Mussolini, all good material for my much planned and barely executed Furst Wars project. If you are new to Furst I would definitely recommend the early books.

Currrently the Force on Force 'Classified' scenario book. Next up, an omnibus of Dan Abnett's first three Gaunt novels. I loved 'Embedded', but I fear the GW aspects will make this unreadable. Good to see I'm not pre-judging.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Dog who drinks paint
Llama Corporal

Postby grizzlymc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Dammit Paul, the Croeburn book is just making my Xmas list longer and longer!

As for the notion that shagging between ranks is prohibited, I have never worked out how to manage it so I don't shag the women I work with, but the notion that prohibiting it is a solution is tick box laziness. The question should not be "Could person X be using his authority to bully person Y into shaggin him?", or "could Person Z be getting an easy run of things?" It should be "are these things happening". The idea that you run a business on what might happen is likely to see Islamic dress codes in the damn office within a generation.

If slick willie was standing whilst g3etting a blow job, good on him, I always have to have more support as I tend to lose my balance during the process.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby SteveJ » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Now that looks like a book I'd be up for treating myself to. I'm going to click on Paul's link now and I'm bracing myself in the expectation that it won't be going cheap.
Hitch a ride with us- we're on the last freedom moped out
of Nowhere City baby, and we haven't even told our parents what time we'll be back!
So get your dancing trousers on and get down to the utter King of Rock'n' Roll... CLIFF RICHARD!
SteveJ
Major

Postby grizzlymc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Chickens cheep.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby SteveJ » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 pm

£9? Holy shit, is that a misprint?

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is a bargain.
of Nowhere City baby, and we haven't even told our parents what time we'll be back!
So get your dancing trousers on and get down to the utter King of Rock'n' Roll... CLIFF RICHARD!
SteveJ
Major

Postby grizzlymc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 pm

I see Euro 29 which is about 20 quid ish, still pretty damn good, but you nearly had me flexing the credit card ther!
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby SteveJ » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:28 pm

OK- now I'm confused. If you click on the 'BOOKS' link, it comes up as £28- ish. That sounds more like the price I was expecting. :-?
SteveJ
Major

Postby SteveJ » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Simultaneous posts- yes, it's just under 30 Euros, depending on which link you click apparently...
SteveJ
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Wargames