Photobucket

India pattern carriers?

Hobby Related Discussion

India pattern carriers?

Postby Norman D. landings » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Enlighten me, gents;

North Africa/Western desert ACW-IP's... what sort of 'unit' were they fielded in?

As a platoon transport - how many per platoon?

In recce troops - how many per 'troop'?

I know nowt about these things!

Cheers!
Norman D. landings
Colour Sergeant

Re: India pattern carriers?

Postby ninja636 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 pm

I always thought that they replaced 'universal' carriers in Indian, and some other, Commonwealth units?

Oh, and

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/index.htm

Not entirely error free I suspect, but it's a start.
ninja636
Colour Sergeant

Postby Etranger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Paging RMD to the information booth....

Mark's put stuff up elsewhere on the IPC, possibly TMP or Flames of War. Google to the rescue http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=275448
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1412 http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 6&t=154107
'Those aren't real nuns...you can tell by the tentacles!'
Etranger
Lieutenant

Postby Norman D. landings » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 am

Obliged, gents!

I did check Bayonet Strength, but gave up when I saw no listing for the Indian Army. Should have thought to check equivalent Brit formations and transpose the UC's!

TMP... down for maintenance. I shall check after work.
Norman D. landings
Colour Sergeant

Postby aecurtis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:26 am

Ummm... I hope RMD drops by to answer himself. Unfortunately, nearly all of his many substantive posts on the FOW forum have vanished in the forum purges. He explained there that it's not as simple as a 1:1 substitution for Universal Carriers. Perhaps this thread started by some annoying person over in another forum will provide some hints: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=192159

Allen
aecurtis
Llama Corporal

Postby aecurtis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:31 am

See also (following link from the previously posted thread): http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=108549

As I recall, Mark subsequently developed additional information about Indian cavalry and IPCs, so I do hope he drops by.

Allen
aecurtis
Llama Corporal

Postby grizzlymc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:58 am

Surprised RMD hasn't jumped into this one yet, maybe his signal box blew down.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby R Mark Davies » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Rumours of my death by chronic wind have been exaggerated, although I nearly succumbed to being struck by lightning on top of the Rabat Citadel, Gozo last Friday! :(

Re India Pattern Carriers: Mk II Carriers (the Light Recce Car type you always see - as made by FoW, QRF and others) were used in the battalion Carrier Platoons of some Indian Infantry Battalions, as early as the Malaya and Burma Campaigns of 1942. However, they were generally short-lived in this role, as their carrying capacity was poor, with room only for one or two dismounts. The vast majority of Indian Battalions therefore continued to use tracked Carriers.

They saw wider use as a Light Recce Car in Indian Cavalry Regiments, though again this was pretty short-lived and they were replaced by pukka armoured cars such as Fox, Humber, Daimler and Staghound.

By 1944 India Pattern Carriers had pretty much been relegated to subsidiary theatres, such as North Africa, Palestine, Syria, Iraq and Persia, as well as to training and security units in India proper. In the main theatres of war they were found being used as HQ and Liaison cars, Artillery OP cars, Engineer Recce cars and as SP 3-inch mortars - especially in cavalry regiments in Italy and Burma (approx two per squadron) and in the odd Indian infantry battalion Mortar Platoon in Italy.

The existence of the Mk I Wheeled Carrier is much-debated. They were intended as a boxy, wheeled equivalent of the Universal Carrier, but there is precious little evidence as to their use.

The Mk III Wheeled Carrier was a roofed-over version of the Mk II (though later versions of the Mk II were also roofed) and didn't see much service until post-war.

The Mk IV Wheeled Carrier was an improved Mk I - a low, boxy beast that saw extensive post-war service.
R Mark Davies
Llama Corporal

Postby grizzlymc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Chronic wind - go see a doctor about that, some meds and a change of diet could help you enormously.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Norman D. landings » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Gozo, eh? Lucky sod!
If it's an all-divers trip, we usually base ourselves in Xlendi bay. (If non-diving spouses are in tow, we stay on Malta.)
The Blue Hole is one of my all-time favourite dives.

Anyway, cheers for that info.
There are vague hints of WWII North Africa at the club, and if it starts up, I fancied something a bit different.
Norman D. landings
Colour Sergeant

Postby R Mark Davies » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:30 pm

No, just an ordinary holiday, rather than a diving trip (that's my sister's gig). It was absolutely fantastic and we'll definitely be going back. We only had one day on Gozo and the thunderstorm pinned us down in the Citadel for most of the day, sadly (though it was an excuse to have yet more pints of Cisk...). We were based at St Julian's on Malta, where two days of Bofors Gun fire (from nearby Fort Pembroke), accompanied by the distant booms of thunderstorms, made it sound a bit like 1942... All we needed was the odd Stuka to come over...
R Mark Davies
Llama Corporal

Return to Wargames