Photobucket

GM's hobby progress management...

Hobby Related Discussion

GM's hobby progress management...

Postby goat major » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 am

The words, Goat, hobby and progress are rarely seen in the same sentence. In order to try to rectify this state of affairs i've tried a modicum of planning. Rather than the traditional Gantt chart approach, I've tried putting all my stuff onto a kanban board* - which in theory gives me some flexibility on what I can do, but also highlights where I am causing bottlenecks. Unsurprisingly the latter is due to me buying things and not painting them #-O I first saw the idea of using a kanban board on an excellent little 40k podcast called the Independent Characters and it does seem like it might be useful. Anyway the plan is to occasionally post my board up on my blog http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/ and here in order to shame myself into some sort of forward motion. If it lasts until Christmas I'll be amazed :-

* for those who aren't familiar, Kanban is a manufacturing process management technique pioneered by Toyota, but has also gained a lot of traction in the software development industry. I'm using a free webtool called KanbanFLow https://kanbanflow.com/ simply because that's what they started to use on the podcast mentioned above.
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Re: GM's hobby progress management...

Postby marshallney » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:33 am

Excellent! So you will be spending 90% of your time filling in the forms and paperwork butonly :)) 10% of your time actually painting.
marshallney
Sergeant

Postby valleyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:37 am

Jesus Jones
Filling in that form took up a battalion's worth time of painting I bet

I conclude that the only paper in your house is to be found in the bog and that you have no lead in your pencil :))
Wine - cheaper than botox and paralyses more muscles
valleyboy
Second Lieutenant

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 am

Oh dear God..... #-O

My wife LIVES for process management and progress flow charts - she actually drew one up for me to chart progress on the housework. She sees this and she's going to want to know why I haven't got one. :((

You bastard. <fork>
"We step confidently into the gutter with some tact and decorum."
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Jeremy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 am

For me, ignorance is bliss....

Besides, my WADD refuses to let me complete a project. It goes against the laws of nature.....
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Tim Hall » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:15 am

I am inevitably reminded of Arnold Rimmer's immaculate revision chart in Red Dwarf when he was supposed to be studying for the officer's exam. Sadly he spent so much time and effort on the chart that he never got round to revising and Dave Lister passed the exam instead. Just a thought.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby Timmo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:33 am

Planning is great fun and part of the hobby. It can also lead to a more successful out come than if you just buy a pile of lead and then can't remember what you've got or where you put it…
Timmo
Captain

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 am

My missus is professor of Operations Management at Lancaster Uni. I can't possibly let her see this, or she'll be organising my painting as well as the rest of my life.
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby world2dave » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 am

Tim Hall wrote:I am inevitably reminded of Arnold Rimmer's immaculate revision chart in Red Dwarf when he was supposed to be studying for the officer's exam. Sadly he spent so much time and effort on the chart that he never got round to revising and Dave Lister passed the exam instead. Just a thought.

Although I like the chart and think it could be a useful device, I admit to remembering the same Red Dwarf scene! :d
So speaketh the Chief Scribe and Court Artist to his Grace the Grand Duke of Medetia
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
world2dave
Corporal

Postby Jeremy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 am

Timmo wrote:Planning is great fun and part of the hobby. It can also lead to a more successful out come than if you just buy a pile of lead and then can't remember what you've got or where you put it…

But thats half the fun! Nothing better than finding something and saying "Ooh! Forgot I had that!"
She stands upon Southampton dock, with her handkerchief and her summer frock, clings to her wet body in the rain.
In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins, she bravely waves the boys 'Goodbye' again......
Jeremy
Llama Corporal

Postby Peewee » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!

I have my fill of Kanbans, Kaizens and flow-charts at work, and I only tolerate it then because I'm paid to.
Does anybody want a snog?
Peewee
Major

Postby levied troop » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 pm

I applaude your dedication Citizen Goat. The Kanban looks interesting and I may trial this as an alternative to my Gantt Charts. <b6>
goat major wrote:That cat talks total sense! Must be the melon.
levied troop
Hobbit Dodger

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Goat, I think that you are ahead of your time

In 50 years time this will be mainstream
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Peeler » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:47 pm

No no no no and once again, no.

There is too much management, charts, planners, meeting & other such sh**e in our lives already, yabbering about doing it without actually doing it. And doing it is the main thing.

But do it if you want to.
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm with Peeler. Try living with a management professor if you don't believe him and me!!!
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby PatG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:57 pm

To each their own. I can see the merits of organization especially for large projects but personally I enjoy the puttering aspects of the hobby more. For example, trying to figure out why I had a couple of spare Ral Partha horses lead me to finding the Great Endeavours website.
"...the game is playing with toy soldiers and we should not be slaves to the dictat of a rules writers words or the approval and disapproval of our wargaming peers." Tim Hall - WD3
PatG
Captain

Postby Essex Boy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Now you've started this, Simon, you'll need to look at the painting process as well - have you considered Toyota's Lean Working principles? Don't worry about all that manufacturer's recalls - I'm sure they're very efficient really.

Iain
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby goat major » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks all for your varied and supportive responses. I have summarised my reply in the form of a kanban board

Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby world2dave » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Can people be in 2 categories, as I think pretty much everyone qualifies for 'Beyond Help'?
So speaketh the Chief Scribe and Court Artist to his Grace the Grand Duke of Medetia
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
world2dave
Corporal

Postby Timmo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Peeler wrote:No no no no and once again, no.

There is too much management, charts, planners, meeting & other such sh**e in our lives already, yabbering about doing it without actually doing it. And doing it is the main thing.

But do it if you want to.

True, true, but in this hobby I think there is too much doing without enough thought up front. Which is why people like me end up rebasing stuff 'cos we didn't think about all the issues in advance.
Timmo
Captain

Postby coggon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Something tells me Purps will be along quite soon so he can be included on the second chart..........
coggon
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:45 pm

I have a simple project management technique.

"I've bought stuff, it needs painting, some will get painted before i die."
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Next

Return to Wargames