Photobucket

Latest Hobby not-a-Purchase

Hobby Related Discussion

Latest Hobby not-a-Purchase

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:04 pm

I've been thinking very seriously about changing my camera for a while now. It's a Fujifilm HS20EXR. I've got its one 'Custom' mode set up for photographing my toys, and it works very well for that. But other than that, for 'ordinary' photography, it's very 'hit and miss'. I've got some simply gorgeous shots with it, and some absolute dogs (and despite thirty-five years experience of photographing things quite successfully, and having read a lot of 'theory' over those years, I don't know why). I've had it almost two years, and have taken nearly 5,000 photos with it. It's taken me that long to come to the conclusion that I just don't like it - and I don't think it likes me either.

So, I've sold it - and far quicker than I'd expected - amazing what a 'throw away' remark will achieve sometimes. I'm awaiting a cheque from the guy who's buying it, so I haven't actually shipped out it yet. But I am therefore in danger of being 'camera-less'. The missus says I can buy a new one, for my birthday/Christmas, etc. I really don't want to end up lugging a big bag of lenses and other gubbins around as I did before we had the kids and I 'went digital' - at which point I swore I'd stick to 'bridge cameras'. But dSLRs give more control, better image quality, etc., and should, hopefully, reduce the frustration of 'fighting' the technology for control. And so I think I'm getting close to a decision - in that I've narrowed the choice down to a couple of cameras and a few lenses.

Sony or Nikon; Nikon or Sony; Sony or Nikon; Nikon or Sony; Sony or Nikon; Nikon or Sony; Sony or Nikon; Nikon or Sony? It's driving me crazy.

Sony Alpha SLT A65 or Nikon D5200 to be precise. Feature and quality-wise, they're roughly equivalent, with some minor differences.

The Nikon is a bit cheaper. The Sony has an AF system which works in 'Live View' (i.e. when using the LED screen on the back to compose the shot - which I prefer for photographing toys and dragonflies), whereas the Nikon would pretty much require the use of manual focus using Live View. The Nikon is better in low light. Lens-wise, I can get pretty much the same choices in both… I either go for a 'kit' with an 18-55 and 55-200 mm lens (equivalent to 27-83 and 83-300 in 'old' 35mm SLR terms) from either manufacturer, or else I 'go with my gut' and get myself a Tamron 18-200mm instead - which also does 'macro' - and so would fulfil all my needs in one lens (though the old adage of 'jack of all trades, master of none' may come into play a bit). The optical viewfinder on the Nikon is quite small, but is a 'proper' viewfinder; the viewfinder on the Sony is an 'EVF' (Electronic Viewfinder - i.e. it shows the same as 'Lve View') but is about the best EVF anyone's designed yet - hard to tell that it's not an optical viewfinder - and is nearly twice the size of the Nikon.

So I'm driving myself nuts failing to make a decision. <hy <hy <hy <hy <hy <hy <hy <hy <hy
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Re: Latest Hobby not-a-Purchase

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:08 pm

You need a kanban chart
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 pm

<spka> <spka> <spka> <spka> <spka> <spka> <wh <wh <wh <wh <wh <wh <gun
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby levied troop » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I think this suits a simple flowchart decision tree TBH. The Kanban is more suited to a longer decision-making pro......ah, yes, I see why you suggested it.
goat major wrote:That cat talks total sense! Must be the melon.
levied troop
Hobbit Dodger

Postby Timmo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I'd buy the Nikon on the basis that the lens quality will probably be better than the Sony.
Timmo
Captain

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Timmo, I think that goes in column three of the chart, but I am not sure where.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Timmo wrote:I'd buy the Nikon on the basis that the lens quality will probably be better than the Sony.

It's not clear that it will, given that the Sony is basically Konica/Minolta (which was bought by Sony). Certainly, the reviews don't show a marked difference. And, if I was to go for the Tamron lens, that'd be the same optics for both!

Cheers,
Phil
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Perhaps in that case it would be in clumn 4
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Norty bear needs a shave!!!
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Or, better yet, a bear-sized vat of Veet!!!!
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby simon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:21 pm

philhendry wrote:Norty bear needs a shave!!!

O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

http://www.parkfieldminiatures.freeservers.com/

http://mywargamingcorner.blogspot.co.uk/
simon
Corporal

Postby Timmo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:31 pm

philhendry wrote:
Timmo wrote:I'd buy the Nikon on the basis that the lens quality will probably be better than the Sony.

It's not clear that it will, given that the Sony is basically Konica/Minolta (which was bought by Sony). Certainly, the reviews don't show a marked difference. And, if I was to go for the Tamron lens, that'd be the same optics for both!

Cheers,
Phil

I'd still put my money on the Nikon lens over anything produced by Konica/Minolta. If it's as close as you suggest it won't matter which you buy. Or buy a Leica…
Timmo
Captain

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 pm

But if I go with Tamron for the lens which is better between Nikon and Sony/Konica/Minolta is academic anyway.

I am slightly coming down on the side of the Sony, largely because of the ease of use for macro work whilst using live view. And its battery management is superior.
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby Timmo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Indeed but I'd buy the best lens, since it has the biggest impact on the image quality, battery management etc is fluff. Optical quality is the most important thing.
Timmo
Captain

Postby philhendry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Indeed.
philhendry
Colour Sergeant

Postby Jeffski » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:58 pm

My wife works for Nikon.

You want me to ask her to ask the R&D guys for advice? Impartial of course.
Jeffski
Company Sergeant

Postby Jeffski » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:01 pm

By the way, I faced the same dilemma recently.

I stopped using my good old Minolta reflex as I could not be bothered to print pictures anymore.

I got an entry level Nikon D3100 with a 200mm lens and I am happy with it. So far, it does well and I cannot stop taking pics of my little soldiers!

To decide what to buy, I just got in touch with the local photography club and asked for advice...
Jeffski
Company Sergeant

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:27 pm

How manyu Kanban charts did they have.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Ace From Outer Space » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm

I had to Google Kanban charts... :-(

I have a Cannon DSLR. It's very good.
Ace From Outer Space
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Etranger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 am

I'm a Nikon man, & would go for the Nikon lens too. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Sony but I've used Nikons for 20 odd years. (I still have an F4 in the cupboard, although I've not used it in 10 years). I'd also go with the Nikon over the Tamron lens as there then should be no problems with software & connection compatability. TBH these days you'll get a decent camera/lens system either way, most dSLRs are pretty good.
'Those aren't real nuns...you can tell by the tentacles!'
Etranger
Lieutenant

Return to Wargames