Photobucket

WD3 Peterborough 2013

Participation Games

Re: WD3 Peterborough 2013

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Those hussars are lovely - great colour scheme - I thought I recognised the figures (the horses are a bit of an eclectic mix, though - not Minifigs as far as I can see). Wearing my Ronan the Bavarian hat, I particularly like the blue on the Spencer Smiths, and the fact that the grenadiers are bigger than the other guys.

Will we see a mounted version (if you'll pardon the expression) of the Empress Annette, or will she be travelling incognito in her carriage?
"We step confidently into the gutter with some tact and decorum."
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby grizzlymc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 pm

I cannot imagine Princess Annetter getting up the THAT sort of thing on the battlefield! :-O
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Wookiee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:10 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote:- I thought I recognised the figures (the horses are a bit of an eclectic mix, though - not Minifigs as far as I can see)

Im prity sure you are correct Ronan, The hussar's were rescued from the scrap lead box as were a few of the horses, non of which i think were minifig ones. The remainder were scrounged and borrowed from the unpainted lead pile, a mix of Front rank, foundry, one prince august and god knows what the rest were, I do know that one was an old piece that came in a mixed box of old citidel figures from a car boot sale years ago.

Thats the cue for another forum member to point out that it is a very rare old OOP figure and worth a small fortune. :((

Ronan the Librarian wrote:-and the fact that the grenadiers are bigger than the other guys.

A happy acident Ronan the Grenadiers are from the Austrian Succession range of figures and all the ones I have handled so far have been little larger and a little more robust in stature than the Spencer smith standard figures.
Wookiee
Private

Postby Etranger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 am

Tel! Good to see you back. You'll make the Hobbit moist with excitement....
'Those aren't real nuns...you can tell by the tentacles!'
Etranger
Lieutenant

Postby Wookiee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Cheers Etranger

Moist hobbit though :-O I knew there had to be a down side to re joining.
Wookiee
Private

Postby RapierMiniatures » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 am

Etranger wrote:Tel! Good to see you back. You'll make the Hobbit moist with excitement....

Moist Von Hobbit, didn't Terry Pratchett write a book about him?
RapierMiniatures
Regimental Goat

Postby Annette » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:Those hussars are lovely - great colour scheme - I thought I recognised the figures (the horses are a bit of an eclectic mix, though - not Minifigs as far as I can see). Wearing my Ronan the Bavarian hat, I particularly like the blue on the Spencer Smiths, and the fact that the grenadiers are bigger than the other guys.

Will we see a mounted version (if you'll pardon the expression) of the Empress Annette, or will she be travelling incognito in her carriage?

Guess who just found the Minifig horses that should go with the Hussars?? yep! he forgot he had them B-(

Yes, I am going to buy a figure and paint it myself if I can get to the parcel first!!;) from spencer smith Willie range there is a female riding side saddle figure which I particularly like :) I have not found an on foot figure yet though. We had a heated debate as I wanted to be Queen but am now a Duchess only..
Bloody elves insist on singing all the time and I wouldn't let goblins anywhere near the chickens.*

*Buff Orpington 2013
Annette
Llama Enthusiast

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:48 pm

A sad demotion, are you an electoress?

As you have the horsies, you will have to get some riders for them - uhlans? :d
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby FleetfootMike » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 am

Post-committee meeting result - provisional date Sunday 27th Oct, subject to confirmation by the venue (which we should have in a week or so - it's very rare it's not free on Sunday's)
FleetfootMike
Private

Postby GavinP » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:41 pm

What is the plan regarding this day in terms of game(s) and periods/rules?
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby GavinP » Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Are there any ideas of what people might want to do at this? I'm thinking that given the timescales involved that existing project(s) are probably more feasible than whole new painting challenges. I'd be willing to put on a game in its entirety, or provide the nucleus for people to add to.
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby Essex Boy » Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm

And in addition to Gavin's question (above), is the date now a definate?

Iain
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby GavinP » Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Well, in the absence of a confirmation, I'll post up a few ideas that I could put on/contribute to:

- 20mm WW2 skirmish using Chain of Command (hopefully released by then)
- 6mm Napoleonics. Depending on numbers either Principles of War, Grande Armee or similar Army level rules
- 10mm AWI using British Grenadier. I'd hope Simon might well want to participate and bring his troops along as well.
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby Annette » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm

FleetfootMike wrote:OK. So...

If I were able to get a Sunday booking for our club room in, say, early/mid October, who would be up for it, where 'it' could possibly a new encounter for those of us with forces from the various Grenouisse/Byzarbia games? Club is in Central Peterborough, 10 mins walk from the station, 5 from at least 2 hotels, several fast food places and restaurants within easy walk (including a rather excellent real ale pub with its own brewery and Thai food), free parking at the club. Likely cost would be a share of room hire (last time we did this it worked out at £5 each).

Henry? Would you be free/interested/willing to cobble something together/prepared to franchise the setting? :D

Gavin my understanding is that it is an Imaginations game, I could be very wrong as I undoubtedly usually turn out to be but that's what I read into Mikes original post on page 1........
Bloody elves insist on singing all the time and I wouldn't let goblins anywhere near the chickens.*

*Buff Orpington 2013
Annette
Llama Enthusiast

Postby GavinP » Wed May 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Well given that there's been no organisation to suggest it is, and I've been accused of not putting my money where my mouth was, that's why I've suggested something else. However, there's nothing stopping multiple games, and since it's down the road from me I'll be happy if I get only one other player to game with! Its not quite the same as a trip to Scarborough.
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby FleetfootMike » Sat May 11, 2013 7:49 pm

The date is waiting on the venue getting back to us - our chairman's chasing on Monday (but typically it's a 'yes' that falls between the cracks, not a long agonising no :D - they do not use the venue on Sundays, we're just being polite in not /assuming/ they'll want our hire fee!)

We will have the whole St. Johns building to ourselves, so there most definitely *is* room for more than one all-day, decent sized game. My plan is for an Imaginations game for those of us who have stuff we've painted up for the Ayton games (and certainly in my case don't get to use anywhere else), but I would very much like it (and be very much torn, too!) were Gavin to organise something as well.
FleetfootMike
Private

Postby GavinP » Sun May 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Well it'd be good to have an idea of how many want to come to this, and how many want to play the Imaginations game, and how many want to play "something else" - the numbers and interests thereof kind of determining the "something else".
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby FleetfootMike » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 pm

RIght. A thousand apologies for the time it's taken to fix the date, but we have finally traced our way through the revamped beaurocracy at our venue and found some who can actually say 'yes', or perhaps 'didn't I say yes to that a month or two ago'.

The date IS October 27, the venue Peterborough Wargames Club - St. Johns Ambulance Hall, Cowgate. Likely cost will be a tenner or thereabouts.

We have enough space for multiple games: I'd very much like for there to be both an Imaginations game (in the Grenouisse/Granprix/Byzarbia setting) and an as yet unselected something else from the choices Gavin's offered.

More details and a sign up page to follow over the weekend.
FleetfootMike
Private

Postby FleetfootMike » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Bump :D

I have the ability to put a signup page up - am loath to do so unless there's sufficient interest still, as issuing paypal refunds can be a pain in the backside :D

So - is there still any interest in the above (27 October) date?
FleetfootMike
Private

Postby Essex Boy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:52 pm

I fear that when I signed up for the Gettysburg game in Scarborough I used up all my remaining brownie points, and some. Peterborough has become a game to far and I'm really sorry. I hope it works out.

Iain
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby Peeler » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Mike, I'm sorry, I can't make it, try as I have I can't get that weekend off work. Too many (which isn't actually many) off already. Bumsters. Hope it goes well for you - there must be some nearby WDers? And hope you can make Ayton next year.
Peeler
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby FleetfootMike » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:22 am

Ok, folks. Sad to say, I think we're going to call this a non-starter for this time :(

We'll probably give it another go in 2014, with hopefully a bit more notice and co-operation from our venue.

That said - if there are any WAB players left in the world who fancy coming along to our Normans in Italy campaign day, "Carve Out A Kingdom" on Nov 24, there's still plenty of places.

http://www.peterborough-wargames-club.o ... ents/?ee=2 has more info.
FleetfootMike
Private

Previous

Return to WD3 Games