Photobucket

Ayton 2014 Ideas

Participation Games

Ayton 2014 Ideas

Postby Peeler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:10 am

... Not to be confused with Ayton 2013, which is in a mere three weeks time. Oh dear, best get painting ....

Anyway, on Timmo's Ecw thread in Wargames section, the idea has been mooted by a few that 2014 could be an Ecw bash, raising our own units from our own locale, that sort of thing.

Not saying it has to be, but thought that (in between frantic painting) we could give it some thought & bring our ideas on whatever period you fancy & sort of decide or at least discuss in a few weeks time, whilst feeding & drinking lots. :d
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Re: Ayton 2014

Postby Etranger » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:20 am

Excellent idea! If I can get there I've got a few regiments that will serve....
'Those aren't real nuns...you can tell by the tentacles!'
Etranger
Lieutenant

Postby Essex Boy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 am

Good thinking Mr Peeler.

Timmo has presented me with a bit of a dilemma. I’d already resolved to suggest a traditional old school 18thC ImagiNations game for 2014, but I must say the mid 17thC is a spot on idea for all the reasons given. I’d be up for it (sorry Count), even if 20mm doesn’t float people’s respective boats.

If we do ECW, would we be able to stick to troops from the British Isles? If Winged Hussars, Cossacks and Turks are going to troll up would it be better to shift the focus to Europe?

Personally, I’d go for strict ECW.

Iain

Ps vote 20mm. You know it makes sense.
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am

I'd thought that, providing Henry is available, we would be returning to the C18th? for 2014?

The ECW ideas not a bad one but it's not a period I have any figures for and as my RA is making it increasingly difficult to paint I don't think i'd be likely to get figures done either :(

Personally I'd prefer a return to Byzarbia or a 'Medieval c.1200AD' game but I'm pleased we have a mob rule system so maybe we need a poll and to get voting :D
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Postby Peeler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am

Ideas & thoughts only at this pre 2013 stage I think, maybe a poll after the weekend, when we've all had time to discuss, persuade, consider, each others ideas in an adult fashion, and also to see if tantrums & bullying help a natural decision from the mob. :d

Paul, seriously, if your RA is that bad, I'm sure the rest of us would do some figures for you, a few more each wouldn't be much of a chore.
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 am

Peeler wrote:Idwhen we've all had time to discuss, persuade, consider, each others ideas in an adult fashion, and also to see if tantrums & bullying

Phew thank goodness i've been taking tantrum lessons from my 4 year old and i'd hate to see them wasted!

peeler wrote:Paul, seriously, if your RA is that bad, I'm sure the rest of us would do some figures for you, a few more each wouldn't be much of a chore.

I've been shocked at how quickly working with my hands has become difficult and unpredictable. Some days things are fine but even then if I do more than an hours painting I then can't do any more for about a week :( I have been thinking of learning to paint left handed as that hand is in far better shape. The plus side is that this has a remarkable effect of focusing ones mind on the painting and periods you really want to do!

I think that it's good to do periods that most people tend to already have at least a few figures knocking about for so with this in mind....
My personal nominations in order of preference for 2014 are:

C18th (Prefer Byzarbia but settle for elsewhere)

Medieval (Anarchy/Barons Wars?, scope for personal retinues etc... and on the edge of the period that I actually know something about!)

C19th Colonial+ (This would enable us to use the figures we're doing for 2013 in a different environment, we could stick with Tim's rules (if he lets us!) and move the whole shebang to India or the far east)

Pirates (Boats islands, maybe a displaced Polar bear or two...who could want more)
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Postby Purple » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm

I don't mind - its all good fun
Back to the original stuff would be most sensible but since when were we ever sensible?
GinCressChaiseLongueSausage
Purple
Lieutenant

Postby Count Belisarius » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 pm

I've got admit I'd prefer a return to the C18th - either 'proper' green field stuff or Byzarbia. ECW is not something that has ever grabbed me.

But if we're basing the final decision on tantrums at Ayton I'll bring my lad along as based on his performance yesterday I can guarantee we'll all be doing C18th in 6mm! :)

Andy
Count Belisarius
Sergeant

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 pm

I would love to weigh in on this, but as I probably won't be there :(( I shall just have to judge the quality of tantrums - be aware, I am a survivor of the Bricolefest.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby goat major » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 pm

I'd like the chance to revisit the 18thC - especially if Henry can get involved again.

Having said that i'm fairly easy going. I'll go along with anything that the mob decide
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:30 pm

goat major wrote:Having said that i'm fairly easy going. I'll go along with anything that the mob decide

With this mob that's a very dangerous thing to say!
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Postby goat major » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 pm

i'm easily led
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby RapierMiniatures » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:44 pm

So it seems that the conscensus is, see if Henry is short of copy again, I mean available to do a return to the 18thC, is Byzarbia a good idea though? Last time you lot did that the cost of metal and grey primer shot up due to the heffalump escalation game!
RapierMiniatures
Regimental Goat

Postby marshallney » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Probably C18th Byzarbia but then again Ayton is a good excuse to paint up something completely different for me.

I presume the wining theme for 2014 will have a champion with a large collection in the period and be willing to supply figures to beef up where needed?
marshallney
Sergeant

Postby world2dave » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm

As people have said above, I'm also open-minded about what we go for next year. The game, company and rations are the main thing after all. For what it's worth, my order of preference would be:
C18th green, because it looks pretty and I missed Ayton 2011
C18th sandy, cos I've got the stuff
C19th anywhere, cos I'm painting it for this year
ECW/c17th, cos it'd be fun
Anything else, cos why the hell not?
So speaketh the Chief Scribe and Court Artist to his Grace the Grand Duke of Medetia
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
world2dave
Corporal

Postby Buff Orpington » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Oh Lord, this won't be a poll, it'll be a multi-choice, transferable vote ballot overseen by the Electoral Reform Society with UN observers.
My 2 ha'pence worth.
18th C, grassy or dusty. Just as long as no-one is threatening to invade Upper Nilistan before the cotton harvest is in.
19th C, Orlov's expeditionary force will be available
Baron's war or other pointy stick conflict.
ECW
Something that Purple can dream up on the last night of this year's bash.
Wot you mean, "It's the wrong colour". Don't you know there's a bluddy war on?
Buff Orpington
Second Lieutenant

Postby Purple » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Greeny boards are much easier on the old camera lens - Byzarbia made all my photos completely blurry
GinCressChaiseLongueSausage
Purple
Lieutenant

Postby grizzlymc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Nah, that was the dozen pints the night before!
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Tim Hall » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm

I'll chip in my ten cents worth to fuel the discussion. I have been mulling over some ideas for 2014, and in no particular order:-

1) HG Wellsian Little Wars in 54mm with nice shiny toy soldiers.
2) Wild West, again with 54mm plastics, every body raises a posse of their choice.
3) A 19th Century (late 1879-1888) colonial campaign, in Foreignistan somewhere.(28mm of course)
4) 19th Century European, possibly Pseudo Napoleonic even.(28mm)
5) A multi faction conflict in Africa, with Mercs etc. (28mm)
6) A Wars of the Roses bash, with everybody raising a retinue.
7) Instead of ECW I could go with a little VBCW maybe.
8) Not ECW, well not for me at least.
9) Possibly revisiting 18th Century ImagiEuropa.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby Count Belisarius » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 pm

I've been pondering this a little more and I think I'd really like to head for green Imagi C18th again. It was what drew me to the whole idea in the first place and I've been happily planning and adding to my Imagi forces in the hope of marching them across the green fields of battle again - or the sandy ones if need be :)

Now, I've really enjoyed putting stuff together for this year and even have plans to expand on what I have for a future re-visit. Inevitable really... :)

I do like some of Tim's ideas (especially AVBCW) and I'd quite like the idea of alternating so we go back to C18th for 2014 and then something new for 2015.

My thoughts are really fuelled by wanting to use my C18th stuff again and I suppose I do have the options for local games (Ken and Phil) and there are the Scotland and Peterborough dos (but I'm unlikely to be able to make them) but there is the desire for the big game! I do appreciate it also needs someone to organise and run something like that as well...

The bottom line though is that (as others have said) Ayton is as much about the beer, food and company as the game and whatever is decided I can assure you there will be a unit in buff and green with a bloody large white bird in front! :)

Andy
Last edited by Count Belisarius on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Belisarius
Sergeant

Postby GavinP » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 pm

I've not made an Ayrton game yet and if they continue being imaginations I'm unlikely to. (Which might be your intention, I dunno :) )

However, I would be interested in maybe an ecw or baron's war/anarchy type game or indeed wotr. Even in 28mm.
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Count Belisarius wrote:I do like some of Tim's ideas (especially AVBCW) and I'd quite like the idea of alternating so we go back to C18th for 2014 and then something new for 2015.

This is somewhat how i feel, although something new could well generate my enthusiasm especially if i've already got something for it....which basically means anything apart from :P as i've even got some metal 54mm cowboys in the back of the cupboard.

Count Belisarius wrote:My thoughts are really fuelled by wanting to use my C18th stuff again and I suppose I do have the options for local games (Ken and Phil) and there are the Scotland and Peterborough dos (but I'm unlikely to be able to make them)
Andy

No need to be bound by convention any one of youse is welcome to come up here with or without yer other half etc...for a weekend or more anytime, so long as we can find you a room without a leak!
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Next

Return to WD3 Games