Photobucket

Ayton 2013 a postscript.

Participation Games

Ayton 2013 a postscript.

Postby Tim Hall » Mon May 06, 2013 10:17 pm

I just thought I would say a few words, well it might be a lot actually, about the last weekend. Now that I have had the long journey home to gather my thoughts. Much of this has been said already in some degree but I thought I would put it in writing as I didn't want you lot to think my some sort of over emotional pansy whilst supping in the Forge.

Well, nearly 13 months in the planning and preparation and the weekend was upon us and then over in the flash of a case shot round. All that painting, lots of new units, many of whom were to disappear in a cloud of smoke shortly after arriving on the table, but when it was all laid out ready to go to war, totally worth it!

Once again a group of people came together from all over this fine country, and from as far afield as Lincolnshire, oh and Valleyboy, who happened to be passing, popped in. And what a splendid group of people they are, and I am proud to call them all friends. As we met on Friday evening the enthusiasm for the weekend ahead was almost tangible, and the evening was spent setting the table up and getting sneak previews of all the wondrous work that this band had put into their forces. The anticipation for Saturday morning was almost too much, all of us eager to see our toys in their full glory. More thrilling than the excellent performance of Hairy Dave and the Hooligans later that night!

As the organiser and rule writer I confess to having major pre event nerves, and was prepared to hang my head in shame as my rules were dissected and failed miserably. But all that foolish trepidation disappeared as the wonders of the collective effort was produced from boxes and carrying cases. You guys had excelled yourselves yet again, and a feast of 19th Century military wonders was ours to behold. I am not going to single any one person out, because you all made a supreme effort to make this a fantastic weekend's wargaming, even Henry who was unable to attend had despatched a magnificent regiment to grace our table.

Kerry, your roads were fantastic, and enhanced the table, and they will grace my own table on an almost permanent basis as thanks to your boundless generosity I was gifted with them. Thank you so much. I was awestruck by the sheer beauty and quality of the troops that all marched to Ayton in such numbers, and the fantastic creativity and skill that was evidenced in these miniature marvels. All that I had dreamed of had come true, an elegant and well dressed battlefield occupied by splendid and colourful toy soldiery that resonated with echoes of HG Wells, and Donald Featherstone with hints of Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and a dash of Bram Stoker, Glorious, utterly glorious, so many memories, Andy's fantastic Ooompah band, complete with soundtrack, and the disciplined ranks of the Swans, Dave's ranks of splendid Medetians, Simon's fabulous dark and brooding coach, and the immaculately turned out Transylvanians, Paul's handsome and gallant army of Darien and their superb airfleet, Ken's beautiful and ferociously brave Mexican brigade advancing into a hail of shell and shot, Iain's splendid and ultimately doomed Guardsmen, Peeler's fantastic Spencer Smiths, that HG would have given his eyeteeth for, Buff's fearsome horde of Merkova, and the gallant Frost's Legion of Richie who held their ground and did their duty to the last. Norman D for producing a superb surprise and creating so much discomfiture in the enemy ranks, a moment in wargaming that will long be remembered fondly, even by those very enemies. Well dones go out to Tim W for putting up a stern defence of the main objective and ably assisting his commander in chief, and last, but by no means least, Purps, for steadfastly staying in character as Jeb Stuart and getting there and demolishing my beloved Reb cavalry in style. Those damn guns eh? and those damned D6.

A special thankyou to Mark for once again arranging the hall, and buying the super tables, the table cloths and cooking breakfast and as always being a most superb host, and Heather for her unstinting efforts in the kitchen and ensuring that all our victualling needs were taken care of, and of course, all our patient spouses who tolerate and indulge our collective madness.

Finally, a huge thank you to all of you for the best company a man could wish for, great days, and great nights spent reliving those days. 'Tis well we only do it once a year, such a thing would become dangerously addictive.

I have to award "Man of the Match"! to Richie for holding a flank against overwhelming odds for a day and a half and never giving ground, a sterling performance.

As for my rules, well they survived a robust and thorough playtesting, and with a couple of tweaks will be completed later this month, I am satisfied that they work, as Henry discovered, Ayton is a marvellous testing ground, and good ideas come thick and fast, and always given with a generosity of spirit, and never a meanness or cynicism.

As always, well for the last three years anyway, I come away from Ayton inspired and buzzing with ideas, and gobsmacked at the committment you guys give it. Long may your imaginations inspire the martial endeavours of our Imagi-nations!!

Roll on 2014!! :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM:

\:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Re: Ayton 2013 a postscript.

Postby battleeditor » Mon May 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Congratulations on a job splendidly done, Tim. I know how you feel, and I already have butterflies about 2014.
battleeditor
Llama Corporal

Postby Stavka » Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Can't comment on the butterflies in your stomach, but if I could sprout butterfly wings which would flit my hefty frame across two continents to Ayton for the next bash, I'd do so in an instant.

You guys clearly put on an excellent event, as the pictures and everyone's clear enthusiasm for the day show. Hearty congratulations to all of you- I'm really jealous in the best possible way!

:YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
"So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly arise and make them miserable."
-Aldous Huxley

http://serreslesrangs.blogspot.com/
La Bricole: Napoleonic Wargaming Forum
http://bricole.46.forumer.com/
Stavka
Llama Enthusiast

Postby grizzlymc » Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm

A magnificent piece of work yourself Tim. The table was to die for and the civil Americans nearly made me forget that:

I ONLY DO 6MM
I DO NOT NEED A NEW PERIOD
I HAVE A WILL OF IRON.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Paul » Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 pm

The amount of effort Tim put in with making Ayton 2013 a huge success was evident from arrival to departure and the fact that he, not only allowed us to play with his superb ACW collection but also, put up with a group of wargamers intent on breaking his rules with our weird and wonderful armies and tactics.
Needless to say Tims rules and good humour survived intact and a great weekend was had by all.
Thanks Tim and i'm sure we're all counting the days until Ayton 2014.
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Postby valleyboy » Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 am

As I sit here in Transit in LA I just want to add what a great w/e it was even though quite a bit of it was spent looking at Essex boys bum <rude> as he and his troops had been forced to turn their backs and leg it back to where they came from :d

Special thanks to Tim for his monumental efforts in sorting the game, a huge amount of work went into prepping this and I'm sure it wasn't easy and was quite stressful for him. Great effort Tim. Many thanks also to Peeler but Mrs Peeler in particular for all the other stuff and efforts

Hope to see you all again maybe in 2015
Wine - cheaper than botox and paralyses more muscles
valleyboy
Second Lieutenant

Postby goat major » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 am

Hear hear Tim - thanks again.

Butterflies for 2014 ? I'm thinking giant mechanical butterflies. With ground to air rockets. And flame throwers.
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Darklord » Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend. Already looking forward to next year.
Come to the dark side...we have cookies :D
Darklord
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Darklord » Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend. Already looking forward to next year.
Come to the dark side...we have cookies :D
Darklord
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Count Belisarius » Tue May 07, 2013 7:23 am

I will second all the comments above. Tim put in a lot work to make the weekend work, and work it did! And it was an absolute pleasure to play with Tim's collection which was outstanding. I'd be lucky to get that many 6mm figures painted never mind 28mm! And to such a consistently high standard!

Thanks Tim!

Andy
Count Belisarius
Sergeant

Postby Purple » Tue May 07, 2013 7:23 am

Hear, hear.
Agreed with all of the above!

Already planned out my next force and I may even be sensible and start them whilst I'm still in the warm ayton enthusiam glow :)
GinCressChaiseLongueSausage
Purple
Lieutenant

Postby Essex Boy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:52 am

valleyboy wrote:As I sit here in Transit in LA I just want to add what a great w/e it was even though quite a bit of it was spent looking at Essex boys bum <rude> as he and his troops had been forced to turn their backs and leg it back to where they came from :d

Special thanks to Tim for his monumental efforts in sorting the game, a huge amount of work went into prepping this and I'm sure it wasn't easy and was quite stressful for him. Great effort Tim. Many thanks also to Peeler but Mrs Peeler in particular for all the other stuff and efforts

Hope to see you all again maybe in 2015

It was nice to see you again, bro - it'll be a very long two years. As for my bottom, I seem to recall that for you it was more \:d/ at the time rather than <rude> .

E
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby Peeler » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 am

A wonderful weekend again, Ayton is duller since you all left. Well done with the game & rules Tim, it flowed along easily. As said, a weekend of good gaming (&drinking) in good company. Looking forward to next year :)
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby Peeler » Tue May 07, 2013 8:01 am

A wonderful weekend again, Ayton is duller since you all left. Well done with the game & rules Tim, it flowed along easily. As said, a weekend of good gaming (&drinking) in good company. Looking forward to next year :)
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby goat major » Tue May 07, 2013 8:06 am

Essex Boy wrote:
As for my bottom, I seem to recall that for you it was more \:d/ at the time rather than <rude> .

E

This threads taken a turn for the worse
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Peeler » Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 am

Another corking weekend, well done all. Looking forward to the next one already :)
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby John Ray » Tue May 07, 2013 8:25 am

Pleased to read it was a Great Weekend for all the participants and all returned home safely. Thanks for sharing some of your enjoyment and lovely figures with some superb photographs.

John
John Ray
Corporal

Postby Purple » Tue May 07, 2013 9:00 am

The only regret with the game being ACW is that really we should have all grown beards.
Except me of course, I look like I've fallen out of Jimmy Saville's Rolls Royce :D
GinCressChaiseLongueSausage
Purple
Lieutenant

Postby Peeler » Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 am

Ah, a few of us, after several beers I think, did talk about 18thC 'taches for next year .... I may need a false one. :)

And I think SteveJ can buy me a new shirt of my choice, the cheeky fookah!
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby Peeler » Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 am

Double posted, so edited to say "Jimmy Savilles Rolls Royce" ..... Or Jimmy Tarbucks, going by today's news, Fgs.
Last edited by Peeler on Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby marshallney » Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 am

Another corking weekend, well done all. Looking forward to the next one already :)

My feelings exactly!
marshallney
Sergeant

Postby Peewee » Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 am

Glad to hear everyone had a great weekend, especially the organisers and hosts. It looked like it was great fun judging by the pics.
Does anybody want a snog?
Peewee
Major

Next

Return to WD3 Games