Photobucket

I have a dream - 2015

Participation Games

I have a dream - 2015

Postby captain chook » Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 am

I would dearly love to go to a WD3 game, but being on the other side of the world is a problem. we are in Europe in November 2013 to January 2014, but expect to back in 2015 for Waterloo (unlikely to be able to add in Agincourt as well). As much as this is far in the future, it is nice to have something to look forward to, even if it is only hypothetical. Is there any likelihood of Ayton being later in the year or would another event be planned in the event of WD3ers descending on Europe for one or other event?
As a Waterloo game was felt to be "too predictable" perhaps it could be a Hundred Years War game. We each bring our own lord and retinue. Could combine a siege and a battle.

Anyway, just dreaming..................... :YMDAYDREAM:
captain chook
Llama Enthusiast

Re: I have a dream - 2015

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 am

There is a second bank holiday weekend in May, but this would mean that you'd need to be in the UK for 3 weeks at least to take in both a "late" Ayton and the Waterloo commemorations.

I suppose an alternative might be to book Hougoumont or La Haye Sainte for Ayton V (2015).
"We step confidently into the gutter with some tact and decorum."
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby RapierMiniatures » Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 am

Hmmm a Medievel flavour could be fun and reasonably easy to do.

Something like this might work.

Pre-Ayton, email siege campaign

First morning: Siege game culmunation with the assults (actually the only siege bit that really works on the table).

Afternoon a set of 1vs1 and 2vs2 and 2vs1 Chevauchee raid type games.

Sunday, big battle.

Takes biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig breath, indeed I would be up for running this and providing the terrain etc.

(Unleashing Norman on siege engines, what am I doing?)

I suspect even for those with an abiding interest in Waterloo that you may just be getting over exposed with it....
RapierMiniatures
Regimental Goat

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 am

Another argument in favour of Mediaeval is that it is the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta. Also the 700th anniversary of the start of the Bruce campaign in Ireland (battles of Connor and Kells).
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby GavinP » Fri May 10, 2013 11:51 am

But did she die in vain? :D

Personally I don't think "its too predictable" is a good enough excuse. Quite frankly it was bloody predictable that 2014 was going to be imaginations, but that didn't stop the decision. (Dammit, I said I wasn't going to comment again)
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby RapierMiniatures » Fri May 10, 2013 12:03 pm

So I can put you down for a Lord and retinue then GavinP, Franco-Norman or Anglo-Burgundian faction?
RapierMiniatures
Regimental Goat

Postby GavinP » Fri May 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Is this in 6mm or gigants? :D

What year medieval are we doing? But yes, I think I might well be persuaded.(I still think that the anarchy would have been a good choice for a faction based friction multiplayer)
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby Tim Hall » Fri May 10, 2013 12:35 pm

captain chook wrote:I would dearly love to go to a WD3 game, but being on the other side of the world is a problem. we are in Europe in November 2013 to January 2014, but expect to back in 2015 for Waterloo (unlikely to be able to add in Agincourt as well). As much as this is far in the future, it is nice to have something to look forward to, even if it is only hypothetical. Is there any likelihood of Ayton being later in the year or would another event be planned in the event of WD3ers descending on Europe for one or other event?
As a Waterloo game was felt to be "too predictable" perhaps it could be a Hundred Years War game. We each bring our own lord and retinue. Could combine a siege and a battle.

Anyway, just dreaming..................... :YMDAYDREAM:

Chook, it would be awesome if you could make it, but hopefully Kerry will be returning to the UK in 2015 for his every other year journey. If he is, then the weekend will be timed around that. I would suggest you get together with him on that one, two years is no time at all and will fly by, and there is no reason I can see why plans cannot be made. As to what we are going to be doing, well that is up in the air at the moment but the initial plans are to return to the late 19th century, either re visiting the American Civil War, or doing an Imagi-nations Europe game with lots of Germanic types etc, or possibly a "Little Wars" variant. However that is open to debate, but as the regulars have built up forces for both 18th century and 19th the consensus was that the big game is going to be either one of those. We are not that worried about being predictable. Of course if there is no enthusiasm for these two amongst the majority,then the field is open for discussion.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby GavinP » Fri May 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Oh dear, sorry Rapier, guess we won't be doing the big medieval game after all. Still, I'm sure it'll be worth your time and effort doing the terrain and scenario for just the two of us plus any others not involved in the official Big game.
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby grizzlymc » Fri May 10, 2013 1:57 pm

captain chook wrote:I ...............but expect to back in 2015 for Waterloo ...................................... :YMDAYDREAM:

Ummmm.

How do we tell him that he is 200 years late?

This is worse than Norm and EB.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Peeler » Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Chooky, I think the Ayton weekend is fairly well fixed as the first weekend in May with the bank holiday as it suits those that come to the game ..... But, there is no reason why another WD weekend can't be organised, at a date & place to accomodate your UK visit. Where & when do you fancy it & what do you fancy playing?
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Fri May 10, 2013 2:25 pm

It might help all concerned if we could perhaps have an update as to just how many years ahead the exact nature/period of the main Ayton game has already been decided. I think those of us not present were under the impression it was only the 2014 game that had been agreed.
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby battleeditor » Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 pm

This is getting tiresome. Perhaps we should just have another forum for 'The Ayton Contemptibles' who are perfectly happy to explore the limits of imagi-nations gaming over regular May bank holidays, without anyone else needing to be offended or feel they have to join in if they don't want to.

The Ayton weekends consist of a suggestion being made and someone getting off their arse to organise it having established that some like-minded folks wish to participate.

Anyone else can organise whatever they like at whatever time they like wherever they like. On occasion, that might happen to coincide with the (name century of your choice) imagi-nations game in Ayton, but there's no reason that it has to.

I'm getting a bit tired of people complaining simply because an event has been organised and announced. The Ayton games are not the 'property' of WD3 – they are the result of the collaboration of a number of its members on an ad-hoc basis. Others have shown that they are capable of doing likewise, for types of wargaming that may or may not be to the taste of other WD3ers – and more power to their elbow. It's as daft as saying how dare someone organise Partizan because there aren't any games there that I happen to like. It's not taking anything away from anyone else -- it's simply providing something for those folks who have requested it. Nobody's rights have been infringed here. It's a hobby -- people can do what they like.

As for 2015: crikey, can't think that far ahead, in fact can't think beyond getting MW362 on the presses this weekend. But if one of the games on offer is Waterloo or Agincourt, I'm sure there would be takers, wherever and whenever it's held.
battleeditor
Llama Corporal

Postby GavinP » Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Sorry its getting tiresome Henry. The fact is we're getting told one thing, and another is patently obvious.

Its open to all*
Put up or shut up**
Do it anywhere and anytime***

*Provided you play the game we're doing or put on a side game for an undefined number of attendees or "Big/Main game" attendees who may or may not have time to play a side game
**Except we've already decided what games will be run 2 years (at least in advance) in a closed session for attendees only
***Except that the last time this was discussed WD3 South, East, wandering around the country etc, it was politely requested that the "home of the WD3" game was Ayton.

I honestly couldn't give two hoots about whether I want to go or not. What I object to is it being suggested that I can do anything about it. I'm more than aware that I have no ownership of this and that if I turned up I expect a fair number of people would be less than enthusiastic about me being there (just as I'm sure they'd avoid me like the plague at a show too) but there you go. Its a free forum and I am entitled to make my opinion.
GavinP
Hobbit Dodger

Postby Buff Orpington » Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 pm

oranges aren't the only fruit and Ayton isn't the only place that WD3ers can play. We've got pretty solid support for what we fancy doing in 2015 for the 1st Bank Holiday but if Chook or anyone else can't make that but fancies something different at a different date I'll try to get the use of the Airbus UK function room at Broughton. I'd love to make this year's Peterborough bash but I'll only just have got back from Spain and I've used up my smartie points by having a week in North Yorkshire to coincide with Ayton.
Wot you mean, "It's the wrong colour". Don't you know there's a bluddy war on?
Buff Orpington
Second Lieutenant

Postby Tim Hall » Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 pm

GavinP wrote:Sorry its getting tiresome Henry. The fact is we're getting told one thing, and another is patently obvious.

Its open to all*
Put up or shut up**
Do it anywhere and anytime***

*Provided you play the game we're doing or put on a side game for an undefined number of attendees or "Big/Main game" attendees who may or may not have time to play a side game
**Except we've already decided what games will be run 2 years (at least in advance) in a closed session for attendees only
***Except that the last time this was discussed WD3 South, East, wandering around the country etc, it was politely requested that the "home of the WD3" game was Ayton.

I honestly couldn't give two hoots about whether I want to go or not. What I object to is it being suggested that I can do anything about it. I'm more than aware that I have no ownership of this and that if I turned up I expect a fair number of people would be less than enthusiastic about me being there (just as I'm sure they'd avoid me like the plague at a show too) but there you go. Its a free forum and I am entitled to make my opinion.

I will refrain from my inititial reaction and avoid any abuse, and see if I can make this any clearer.

1) The meeting at Ayton for the last three years is NOT a WD3 game. It is a get together of people who are wargamers, who are members of this forum and decided they wanted to meet up and play a wargame. They then agreed what that would be in a democratic fashion. By consensus. No one was co-erced or made to take part, and if what had been decided was not to anybody's taste then they were free not to attend or play the other three games which were available on that first weekend. Four viable choices, pretty good for a small group of people who had never met and did it all on line I'd say.

2) Having done that, everybody who attended enjoyed the first weekend, so much so that they wanted to do it again, and fortunately Henry once again kindly volunteered to organise it, and supply resources. They also wanted to keep the big game to Imaginations because they had enjoyed putting troops together for it, and having done that wanted to expand on those forces and use them again in a big game setting. Again there were other games available should anybody wish to come but not play in the main game. Again it was another success and even two new members of this forum attended and enjoyed it sufficiently to want to repeat the experience.

3) We changed direction for the third year, because I offered to run a large American Civil War game so that we could have something different. That was put out for a vote, an open poll on this forum, and the consensus was, that yes, people wanted to do that. But rather than paint a handful of ACW troops they might not ever use again, they wanted to do something a little quirkier and introduce the Imaginations element. Fine by me. At the risk of bragging it was a great success to all of those people who came.

3) Over the course of the last weekend we discussed whether it was worth continuing these weekends, and when it looked likely that any person who proposed stopping them would be lynched, we agreed that we would continue them. That said, it was agreed, after long discussions on other historical and non historical options, that as all of the attendees had gone to no little expense in building up forces for both 18th and 19th century Imaginations war games, then we should continue with them, as they lent themselves to the sociable and non serious atmosphere of these weekends. Using rules that nobody else did, and armies that we had constructed. Thus we were not slaves to the tyranny of historical accuracy or rules lawyership. The key point being that the games were for fun, a vital ingredient.

4) At no point has any other WD3 member been barred from attending or barred from having a say in what happened, or organising another game. The only caveats being that there must be consensus on what the big game was, there was going to be a big game, or that if somebody volunteered to run another game they had responsibility for it and recruiting players etc. The venue and tables would be there for them to use, but getting the thing going was down to them.

5) If there is any ownership of the Ayton meetings it has been earned by the group of people that have attended since it's inception, and I include World2Dave and Fleetwood Mike in that group, as they have organised it, worked towards it success by providing toy soldiers and terrain, booking the venue, having their wife take control of the catering, writing rules, not to mention travelling long distances and finding and funding their accomodation...........need I go on.

6) The only people who seem to get upset by the whole thing are those who despite several invitations have never attended, and having decided that what happens at Ayton is not for them, feel obligated to bitch about those of us who do get involved, because it's not what they want. Fine, maybe doing something new and different and creative, not to mention making some really good new friends isn't everybody's cup of tea. If it isn't then why not bite the bullet and organise soemthing different, somewhere else at a time that suits you better.

Damn, I lost my temper a little bit, sorry 'bout that.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby Paul » Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 pm

The hall and the back/side room are plenty big enough for two 'Big games' so why not give people a choice ?

I would love to see a return to the C19th though would prefer an Indian sub continent/Far east bash and this side by side with a big Medieval game would be fantastic. With two years to plan this would be certainly possible and it would be a great precedent to set for future years and really expand our options and player base.
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Postby grizzlymc » Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Right, that settles it!

The next WD3 Game is in La Serena, this weekend and the following games will be on offer, if you don't like it you can go to the beach.

GQ3 WWII Brits Vs Huns
Seastrike
Liberators uwsing butchered WRG rules
Spearhead with 1Bn per side.

Chez grizz has two 0.9X2m tables which can be joined. The local cafe would no doubt allow you to push a few tables together.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Essex Boy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:37 pm

grizzlymc wrote:Right, that settles it!

The next WD3 Game is in La Serena, this weekend and the following games will be on offer, if you don't like it you can go to the beach.

GQ3 WWII Brits Vs Huns
Seastrike
Liberators uwsing butchered WRG rules
Spearhead with 1Bn per side.

Chez grizz has two 0.9X2m tables which can be joined. The local cafe would no doubt allow you to push a few tables together.

Seastrike!

There you go again with ancient WRG games. You must be very, very old. Have you still got a copy? What's the nearest airport?

E
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby Greystreak » Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 pm

"I have a dream . . ." Martin Luther King Jr. must be rolling over in his grave! :(( :)) =))
Bryce Allen
Greystreak
Beardo

Postby goat major » Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Essex Boy wrote:There you go again with ancient WRG games.

WRG made their name with Ancient games
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Essex Boy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Paul wrote:The hall and the back/side room are plenty big enough for two 'Big games' so why not give people a choice ?

With two years to plan this would be certainly possible and it would be a great precedent to set for future years and really expand our options and player base.

I like the cut of your jib, Paul. This would make me very happy, but to be honest I'd do my best to go anywhere within reason and play anything. Crazy.

Iain
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Next

Return to WD3 Games