Photobucket

WD3 game, A Southern Campaign? Updated 06/10/13

Participation Games

WD3 game, A Southern Campaign? Updated 06/10/13

Postby Tim Hall » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Gentlemen, it has been raised that maybe we should have a WD3 meet in the Southern regions of our fair island. This subject was vaguely discussed some time ago, but sadly that particular nettle was never grasped. Now I am proposing to organise such an event, albeit in the healthier climes of East Anglia. I am thinking of October next year, with the aim of avoiding any of the major shows if at all possible. I have three potential venues in mind, they lie in the village that surrounds Schloss Framlingheim, and all would be perfectly adequate to our needs, two of them are much better than the third. We here are easily reached by road, and by rail, at least as far as Ipswich. There are many suitable eateries and hostelries conveniently close by, as well as suitable accommodation, including a camp ground/trailer parking area.

In order to make this worthwhile investigating I thought I would start canvassing interest. I am more than happy to secure a venue and scout out details of said accommodation, I would think the venues I have in mind could quite happily sustain one big game and a couple of smaller games.

Therefore I hand it over to you for opinions, and proposals.

Thank you.
Last edited by Tim Hall on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Re: WD3 game, A Southern Campaign?

Postby goat major » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Living in the Midlands I can swing both ways. So I'm up for it Tim. Great idea.
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Tim Hall » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:47 pm

goat major wrote:I can swing both ways.

I had heard that Simon, but it is good of you to share, maybe you and EB can go handbag shopping together and that would help bury the hatchet between you both.
They will not force us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby Essex Boy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 am

Tim Hall wrote:

I had heard that Simon, but it is good of you to share, maybe you and EB can go handbag shopping together and that would help bury the hatchet between you both.

I'd be up for that, and the game sounds good as well.

E

Ps you're a brave man, Tim. Is there anything I can do to help?
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby valleyboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:36 am

Essex Boy wrote:
Tim Hall wrote:

I'd be up for that, and the game sounds good as well.

E

Ps you're a brave man, Tim. Is there anything I can do to help?

Yeah

Don't offer to give anyone a lift :))
Wine - cheaper than botox and paralyses more muscles
valleyboy
Second Lieutenant

Postby world2dave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:05 am

Great idea Tim, I'm up for something dan saf.

I'd be happy to contribute whatever figures and scenery I've got for whatever we decide to do. I suppose we either find out who's up for it and see what they have/want to play, or agree what we're doing first and then see who wants to come.

I'm happy with most things, which I suppose boils down to either continuing with the 18th or 19th century WD3 stuff we've done to date, or something else which perhaps doesn't involve a big new painting project! The main things for me would be a spirit of collaboration/contribution, the social element, with fun and interesting gaming using simple rules people can get on with.

Your inclusion of the word 'campaign' in the thread title does suggest to me the concept of a number of linked, potentially small, games with appropriate narrative, making up a weekend event. These could be anything from skirmishes to small battles, which leaves it open to virtually any period/setting (eg. medieval, TYW etc have been mentioned before). Something like this would be quite fittingly Featherstonian too.
So speaketh the Chief Scribe and Court Artist to his Grace the Grand Duke of Medetia
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
world2dave
Corporal

Postby Essex Boy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:00 pm

"Yeah

Don't offer to give anyone a lift :)) "

:d Very funny bro :)) ...........git
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby Peeler » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Sounds good, Fram is a right nice place with good beer.
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby baronhardup » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:26 pm

I'd be up for that. Quite a handy venue for me.

Chris
baronhardup
Private

Postby Tim Hall » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:02 pm

In terms of games, I hadn't thought of a campaign as such, I wasn't being that literal in the thread title. However I agree with Dave that I am not thinking of starting something whereby people will feel obliged to paint up new forces for. There are quite a few options already available for games, namely an 18th century Imaginations game, a 19th century game, although perhaps something different from those might be fun. For example I can put on a Colonial game, might need people to supply extra native types, a WWII game in 54mm or back to the ACW, but without extras, or even some 1/72 WWII action, even Little Wars or Toy Soldiers. All of these could easily accommodate 6 players at least. Thats just me, I know some of you guys have stuff that you could put on offer. It all depends on the structure we go for, namely one big game, or a series of different smaller games, or even two biggish games. Also it depends on who will want to attend. Hence this debate. What I don't want to see is this thread get lost in a sea of indecision, I will happily put something on if people want to come, but I am equally open to good offers and suggestions. Over to you.
They will not force us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby Greystreak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Sounds a fine idea, with plenty of 'planning time' available, and a good time of year for 'availability'. :-)
Bryce Allen
Greystreak
Beardo

Postby Paul » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Unfortunately there's no way i can attend this but it's a great idea as it allows those people who are too far from Ayton or Scotland to get involved.
If people are interested in a return to Scotland next year I'll make sure dates aren't too close to Tims.
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Postby levied troop » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:57 am

As long as it avoids the SELWG weekend I'm up for it.

Happy to contribute to almost any period.

I could also put on a side game that would accommodate around 4-6 players in:

Bronze Age DBM 1100BC
11th C DBA Camapign
Monmouth Rebellion 1685
Indian Mutiny 1857
WW1 1914
RCW 1921
VBCW 1937
WW2 1940 (France or Sealion - 20 or 28mm)
goat major wrote:That cat talks total sense! Must be the melon.
levied troop
Hobbit Dodger

Postby Peeler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 am

Well done Paul, I was hoping that they wouldn't clash. So we seem to have expanded to three gatherings, Ayton, Scotland, Framlingham. That can only be for the greater good. We can pack in three great gaming weekends each year, or at least one of them will be within reach if you can't do all three. Good stuff eh :)

Tim, just a thought - are there any handbag shops in Fram? :d

As for games, I have me 18thC & 19thC, & can also put on a seperate DBN game/s if wanted.
Peeler
Regimental Goat

Postby goat major » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:17 am

i enjoy the company of my fellow gamers and the opportunity to discuss Radley bags. So i really don't mind what we play at all - so long as it doesn't incur an extra project for me as my feeble painting speeds can't cope with much more. I was really sorry to miss Scotland - Paul looks like you hosted a fantastic event, but September is not a month where i can take any time off work. So a later autumn, east-anglia fest would be great :)
Can't paint ? Won't paint ? Kan-ban !
Bloggings: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
goat major
Major

Postby Count Belisarius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 am

I'd definitely be up for it but would need to check dates and when half term is.

And if I'm allowed...
Count Belisarius
Sergeant

Postby FleetfootMike » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 am

Up for it. provided it's c18th, as I really will get divorced if have more armies to paint :D
FleetfootMike
Private

Postby Buff Orpington » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 am

Well, that's one way of doing it I suppose.
Wot you mean, "It's the wrong colour". Don't you know there's a bluddy war on?
Buff Orpington
Second Lieutenant

Postby Tim Hall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Well its good to see the "usual suspects" showing interest. I would add to my original blurb that if some of you might want to bring spouses, it's a very nice part of the world for them to explore whilst we play, even our little town might entertain them for a day on Saturday,there are clothes shops cafes and pubs as well as plenty of places to buy lady things, but there is plenty to do near by, and for Simon and EB there is an excellent handbag shop in Felixstowe, I should know it's cost me a few bob over the years buying the bloody things for the boss who is an avid collector of the flipping things, why do women need more than one handbag at a time, its not as if they have to do anything important like paint them!!

Anyways I shall let this discussion run, and check out dates of things like SELWG so that there is no clash, I am thinking the first weekend in October for preference, being an empty nester myself I have no idea how that will affect school holidays. I will also now start sounding out venues. The one I would like to bag is at the Crown Hotel which has a large function room, and some sort of deal on the cost of that with the promise of people staying there as well might swing it, and of course it has bars and supplies food, next on the list is the local Conservative club which also has large rooms, a bar etc, and failing those two there is the village hall which has the space but not much in the way of food and drink facilities. And the fourth option is that the whole thing could crash and burn, but I am working to avoid that one.

Paul, should you be running another Scottish event please give me a heads up on your proposed dates so we can avoid a clash. Cheers.
They will not force us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Half-term for the Xmas Term of the academic year 2014-2015 is 27 -31 October (that is Surrey - we are usually typical, but other regions could be the week before). SELWG 2014 is likely to be either 12 or 19 October, depending whether they keep the same weekend as this year, or go later as they've tended to in the past.

I'm aiming for Ayton 2014, and would like to make this one, too, but it's right at the end of my wife's annual contract term, so she may either be looking for more work, or more likely taking a few weeks break (in which case we'll be off somewhere together). However, for what it's worth Tim, I quite liked your idea over on the TYW skirmish thread about a mid-17thC campaign - either TYW or ECW (maybe see Timmo's stuff on the table?).

I know people have said they don't want to paint anything more, but given this is a whole year away (a) what are the odds of this lot of scrotes not going "Oooh, shiny!" at any point in the next 12 months, and (b) with the right planning, we could probably negotiate a discount with someone. How about everyone buys just ONE box of ECW plastics and builds either a troop of horse, a company of foot, or a warband (eg highlanders/grenzers, clubmen etc); someone with a collection could supply the artillery (not too much). We look up our local historian/museum and check out the local ECW regiment(s) - eg mine would be the Farnham Greencoats - and paint the figures up as them (or just make up a unit). Battalia and squadrons were usually a mix of whoever turned up anyway, so a "mix and match" would not be historically inaccurate.
"We step confidently into the gutter with some tact and decorum."
(PatG)
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Tim Hall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:21 pm

So basically Ronan are you suggesting a 17th century "Imaginations" game then? this could get very out of hand or even sillier. Who knows. Well as you said, there is plenty of time to get this up and running, I would be aiming for Christmas to have some definite arrangements in place, although I suspect, in fact I'd put money on it,that there would still be somebody painting at 23.45 on the day before we are due to start!!!

Or as has been suggested in the past, and I for one like this idea very much, we pick a period and a scale, no more, and what you turn up with is what you get to play with.
They will not force us,
We shall be victorious.
Tim Hall
Corporal

Postby Essex Boy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

goat major wrote:i enjoy the company of my fellow gamers and the opportunity to discuss Radley bags. So i really don't mind what we play at all - so long as it doesn't incur an extra project for me as my feeble painting speeds can't cope with much more. I was really sorry to miss Scotland - Paul looks like you hosted a fantastic event, but September is not a month where i can take any time off work. So a later autumn, east-anglia fest would be great :)

I'm your man! I rather like the cross body designs but unfortunately none of the straps are long enough.

You were missed at Scotland but never fear, in your absence Mark, Tim and John dished out repeated humiliation - it was almost as if you were there.

E
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Next

Return to WD3 Games