Photobucket

WD3 Navy Days 2013 or 2014

Participation Games

WD3 Navy Days 2013 or 2014

Postby Felix » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm really keen to organise a gaming weekend in the South of England. Here are my ideas - please bear with me...

I want to organise a weekend of Naval wargaming. The proposed venue is Iver Village Hall in South Bucks. The hall is a lovely brick building with a good kitchen and a 33' x 56' hall. The hire of the hall will be the only main fixed cost, but my wife is on the committee so I'd hope to get a "Friends & Family" rate.

I have two games in mind. The first is an Imagi-Nations clash on the high seas, circa 1910 (think half way between Tsushima and Jutland). This will use 1/350 scale ships (scratch-built), making the model of a 450 ft cruiser about 15 inches long and 2 inches across. A full-on Dreadnought would be 18 inches by 3 inches. "Ground" scale would be 1 foot representing 500 yards, making the hall 16,500 yards (just over 8 nautical miles) by 28,000 yards (14 miles).

The second game would be a WW2 channel clash between German E-boats and Allied MTB and PT boats. The scale would be 1/72, meaning we could use the Airfix and Revell kits. Britannia do some 20mm-scale boats too. Rich at TFL published a perfect set of rules in his 2011 Summer Special magazine.

As an incentive (and a way to persuade a reluctant other half), we are in a wonderful location. Windsor Castle is 20 minutes in one direction, and the shopping-heaven that is Westfield is 25 minutes the other way. We are less than 18 miles from the West End with rail and tube connections, meaning a day out (or evening at the theatre) is very accessible. There are several pubs in the village, two Indian restaurants and a nice bakers shop. Hotels are aplenty as we are close to Heathrow, with Premier Inn rooms at about £40 a night.

I am very aware that the Ayton game will be in Spring next year, and the Scotland game in September. Therefore, I'd be happy to look at an event in 2014 (although I expect Ayton will now be a regular annual event).

So, I come to the question: Would anybody be up for this? If so, which option of game would you pick? Or should we do both?

I'm not going to hold anybody to any promises, I just want to take a straw poll.

Thanks for reading this far, I'm really excited about this possibility!

Cheers!
They don't like it when you shoot at them. I worked that out myself
Felix
Llama Enthusiast

Re: WD3 Navy Days 2013 or 2014

Postby grizzlymc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 pm

Absolute raving lunacy!

Thank god I am nowhere near the UK in your timeline or I would be buying balsa and plans for a nice armoured cruiser or PD battleship!

And as you all know:

I DO NOT NEED A NEW PERIOD!
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Paul » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:19 am

If I can tie in this game with a visit to the folks down south I'd be interested!

The fight for the narrow seas would get my vote.

...or have you thought about a mid C19th clash between the British navy and a French Fleet softening up the country for an invasion :D :AR!
"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."
Paul
Colour Sergeant

Postby Essex Boy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm sure I've got a 1/350 model of SMS Emden somewhere around waiting to be built. I'd be interested but the thought of tip toeing round a hall trying not to tread on someones model would give me sleepless nights. I wish you well - please mark me down as a possible.

Iain
Essex Boy
Colour Sergeant

Postby world2dave » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:36 pm

I like a bit of naval and would be up for something like this. Pre-Dreadnoughts really appeal, happy to scratch build something. That said, coastal stuff would make for a fun game too.
So speaketh the Chief Scribe and Court Artist to his Grace the Grand Duke of Medetia
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
world2dave
Corporal

Postby Etranger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:08 am

If you did Coastal Forces in 1/72 you could include commando operations and the like too. It would certainly be spectacular. The larger vessels get a bit big though! I've seen a 1/96 model (radiocontrolled) of a bulk ore carrier that was over 11' long. The model itself weighed around 100 kg ....
'Those aren't real nuns...you can tell by the tentacles!'
Etranger
Lieutenant

Postby grizzlymc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:00 am

Essex Boy wrote:I'm sure I've got a 1/350 model of SMS Emden somewhere around waiting to be built. I'd be interested but the thought of tip toeing round a hall trying not to tread on someones model would give me sleepless nights. I wish you well - please mark me down as a possible.

Iain

The voyage of the Emden covered most of the Indian Ocean and a fair bit of the Pacific - quick, throw it together and leave the house now - you might make the game.
grizzlymc
Brigadier

Postby Felix » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 am

Etranger wrote:If you did Coastal Forces in 1/72 you could include commando operations and the like too. It would certainly be spectacular. The larger vessels get a bit big though! I've seen a 1/96 model (radiocontrolled) of a bulk ore carrier that was over 11' long. The model itself weighed around 100 kg ....

Hmmm... :YMDAYDREAM: How about St Nazaire? Or is that just crazy talk...? 8-}
Felix
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Etranger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:27 am

No, thats a great thought. Don Featherstone covered the land battle in one of his books but you could do the run up the estuary & add some E-boats to the mix. While I think about it Revell do a 1/72 U boat which could also be a target.
'Those aren't real nuns...you can tell by the tentacles!'
Etranger
Lieutenant

Postby Felix » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 pm

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a commando raid like St Nazaire, combining the sea and land engagements. The only problem I see is that HMS Campbelltown in 1/72 will be 4 and a half feet long. Probably beyond my modelling skills.

Maybe a fictional raid, the commandos delivered by PT and MTB boats, opposed by land forces, armed trawlers and S-boats. The players would take command of the boats and commandos, the umpire (maybe plus a willing helper) running the Germans.

Hmmm, I see a plan starting to form.
Felix
Llama Enthusiast

Postby world2dave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:04 am

Bear in mind that game scale doesn't have to be true scale. I loved those WW2 ships the Rapid Fire guys built for their amphibious games, so a Cambelltown at 2ft, but styled well, would work with bigger figures.
So speaketh the Chief Scribe and Court Artist to his Grace the Grand Duke of Medetia
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
world2dave
Corporal

Postby Agtfos » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I have seen st nazaire done in 10 mm, and even then the scenery was hoooge. Very impressive tho.
Agtfos
Private

Return to WD3 Games