Photobucket

Transcaspian Conflict 1918 in 15mm

Contributed Images

Transcaspian Conflict 1918 in 15mm

Postby sukhe_bator » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:14 am

Apologies for those who've seen these pics on another thread, but since I'm starting this project in earnest, I thought I'd better put it in the right place!
The aim is to recreate MallMiss in 15mm for use with 'Red Hordes' or 'Triumph of the Will' using an elements basing system for convenience.
The Malleson Mission was an attempt to bolster the TransCaspian Provincial Government vs the Tashkent Soviet and control the use of potential war materials on the Northern Persia border. Like almost all other Allied interventions, the Menshevik regimes they supported were divided and shortlived. In this case approx. 1,000 Armenians, Turkmen cavalry and armoured trains with obsolete artillery were bolstered by a few companies of 19th Punjabis, a few MG sections, a section of 44 RFA, a couple of squadrons of 28 LC and one or two companies of Hampshires and Worcesters. It was notable for being the first occasion British troops fired on Russians since the Crimean War. They faced a concentration of Bolsheviks and factory workers, ex AustroHungarian POWs and improvised armoured trains based around Tashkent with access to a nearby Russian Imperial arsenal at Kushkh.
Firefights were confined to clashes along the TransCaspian Railway between Ashkabad and Merv. Improvised armoured trains were used on both sides in an otherwise almost featureless landscape where even the smallest watercourse, ditch or depression close to the railway took on a strategic significance.

First off, my take on an improvised Armoured Train, based on the only other readily available locomotive model in 15mm, the Western loco by PeterPig.
I wanted to model something broadly similar to the early locos from the mid-late C19 with spark arrestor fitted to the funnel as for a wood burning loco and seen in early photos of the Transcaspian railway such as this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_S ... ailway.jpg
This is the end result
The cowcatcher was cropped and scrap plasticard slabs and sidings added onto an extended ruuning plate glued to the resin model. I have approximated the look of several improvised armoured trains with running gear partially exposed featured in recent Ospreys on the Russian Civil War. I've added stacks of scrap matches and armoured sidings to the tender. The buffers were made from cropped wire nails of approx. the right size. Cyrillic Markings are speculative and the black, red and white livery is based on examples of RCW and Soviet locos seen on the Internet.

I'm planning a more radical conversion in the future which will require repositioning domes and firebox door and creating a more boxed in boiler.

Next up, flat wagons with improvised defences of cotton bales, timber and metal sides onto which will be mounted a motley assortment of field guns and HMGs.
sukhe_bator
Private

Re: Transcaspian Conflict 1918 in 15mm

Postby RapierMiniatures » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 am

Excelent!
RapierMiniatures
Regimental Goat

Postby PatG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Armoured trainses..... =P~
"...the game is playing with toy soldiers and we should not be slaves to the dictat of a rules writers words or the approval and disapproval of our wargaming peers." Tim Hall - WD3
PatG
Captain

Postby coggon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 pm

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Please keep posting updates
coggon
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Peewee » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:02 pm

coggon wrote:I can't wait to see how this turns out. Please keep posting updates

That goes for me as well.

:YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
Does anybody want a snog?
Peewee
Major

Postby Timmo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:52 am

Looking great, love the second one. Even the green feels right for the era.
Timmo
Captain

Postby sukhe_bator » Mon May 18, 2015 9:44 am

I am revisiting this after a very long absence.

Having trawled through my late Father's extensive model railway collection I have been utilising scraps of OO track to recreate TT scale set track for use with my armoured train. Cropping the sleepers is straightforward enough and by cutting the flexitrack ties underneath the rails I have been able to approximate the sleeper spacings of the TT example I have. Then its lashings of 5 minute epoxy and a generous splurge of filler to recreate the set track onto thin ply bases.
After 3 partially successful attempts to adapt turnouts as well I finally succumbed and ordered some resin equivalents.
I hope to have enough track to recreate a run round loop, siding to a 2 track engine shed and one of the most bizarre features - a three point turn - which is a feature on the Transcaspian railway that can still be seen on satellite images today.
A b/w photo of a wrecked armoured train at Dushak published in Col. Ellis's book on the campaign shows a distinct curve adjacent to a straight section of track which I believe is this 3 point turn. It would certainly make sense to utilise this feature to help bring the guns to bear on an improvised armoured train...

Now I'm cannibalising some old damaged Airfix box van and cattle truck kits to generate additional rolling stock. Reducing the spacing on the plastic wheelsets is considerably easier than on metal ones. I can also reduce the width of the chassis and body panels relatively easily. Even though the van body will be somewhat overscale, I hope that with a suitable makeover they will stand for some of the larger freight cars in use on the 5' gauge TCR and add variety to my improvised armoured train.

I am also seriously considering splurging on an excellent looking Shapeways 1:100 3D model of a Russian Ov locomotive and tender...
sukhe_bator
Private

Postby sukhe_bator » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:23 am

In lieu of a Shapeways Ov, I have turned my hand to a more radical conversion of the Peter Pig 4-4-0 'General' into a second improvised armoured train with exposed wheels. Scouring the interweb for suitable candidates I came across an A class Russian loco form 1892-1907 that looked somewhat similar. The only major problem was that it was a 4-6-0 wheel configuration.
The following is a warts n all view of progress to date...
After a couple of hours of some drastic surgery with a razor saw, I removed all extraneous detailing. Then removed the driving wheels and cut out the space between the wheels. The wheels were repositioned further forward and the removed 'spacers' glued behind to create room at the rear to model a third set in green stuff...
After some rough additional sculpting of a continuous boiler, enlarged cylinders and third driving wheel set.
The white metal cab side added, the continuation of the coupling rod modeled and further cab profiling added in green stuff to allow for a continuous running plate and crew steps to the cab. The steam and sand domes were repositioned and modelled.
All the while green stuff is being continually sanded and shaved to render crisper profiles and smoother surfaces. Bear in mind the whole thing is only 3" x 1". More to follow...
sukhe_bator
Private

Postby sukhe_bator » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Further work at the weekend converting the cab and assembling the tender prior to detailing
sukhe_bator
Private

Postby sukhe_bator » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:49 am

After a few more hours work, a smoke arrestor culled and adapted from an HO kit and the Peter Pig headlamp are put in position. The running plate profile and front buffer beam are roughly added, as is a tool box on the back of the tender and various access steps. The detailing on all these will be crisper after working with a craft knife and various rat tail files. Then its just the Walschaerts running gear to model :-? :-?
sukhe_bator
Private

Postby sukhe_bator » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:48 am

Conversion now complete. All that is left for me to do is add matchstick lumber in the tender and paint!
sukhe_bator
Private

Postby sukhe_bator » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:49 pm

For the sake of completeness (even though I appear to be the only one using this forum) the more or less complete Russian loco in generic insignia and speculative markings and named 'Tashkent'... just some tidying up and weathering yet to be done
sukhe_bator
Private

Return to Gallery